Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Big Thumbs Up











I thought I would be happy when Jade finally stops sucking her thumb. I thought I would feel relieved that she would not have the dry red marks anymore.  I thought that it would be a huge challenge and would require gloves or nasty tasting nail polish.  I was so wrong. I was wrong about it all.  I took her to the dentist who told her she shouldn't do it because its changing the shape of her teeth and since that day,  9 days ago, she hasn't sucked her thumb and truthfully, it breaks my heart.  Its getting easier and I am very proud of her.  I tell her I am proud but I don't mention its because she stopped sucking her thumb.  I stare at her everyday for minutes on end just watching her play or look at books or watch tv.  I watched her physically put her thumb to her mouth and stop before it got there.  I could see it was hard for her.  I could see her face sadden when she pulled her thumb away.  I cried. I am crying just thinking about it now.  She is very strong willed and I am very impressed at her determination to not do it.  It was so subconscious for her even in her sleep.  I knew the day would come when she wouldn't do it anymore but I had no clue that it would make me feel so sad.  I think its because its the last part of her being little, like a baby, that is not there anymore.  Its true what they say...Making the decision to have a child- its momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body. Thanks for reading xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment